Police response outside a Swedish school representing the sword attack at Brinellskolan in Fagersta

Sword attack at Brinellskolan in Fagersta leaves several injured

User avatar placeholder
Written by Pawel

August 21, 2026

Several people have been injured after a man armed with a sword entered Brinellskolan, an upper-secondary school in Fagersta, on Friday afternoon. At least two people have been seriously injured, while police have detained a suspected man.

Police and emergency services were called at 14:06 on 21 August after receiving a report classified as ongoing deadly violence. Schools across Fagersta were placed under lockdown measures, while both the municipality and Region Västmanland activated emergency staff structures as the operation continued.

In brief:

  • What happened: A man armed with a sword entered Brinellskolan and injured several people.
  • When: Friday, 21 August 2026, shortly after 14:00.
  • Where: Brinellskolan in Fagersta, Västmanland County.
  • Injuries: At least two people have been seriously injured and another injured person was being transported for treatment.
  • Suspect: A man has been detained by police.
  • Public safety: Police said they had no indication of an ongoing threat to the public.

Police called to reports of ongoing deadly violence

The incident began shortly after 14:00 at Brinellskolan in Fagersta.

According to the latest reporting from SVT Nyheter, police and emergency services received the alarm at 14:06. The initial police assessment classified the incident as pågående dödligt våld, the Swedish term used for ongoing deadly violence.

Fagersta municipality said a person armed with a sword had entered the school and injured several people.

A large emergency response followed. Police officers, ambulances, a police helicopter and specialised police units were sent to the area. Officers continued searching and securing school buildings during the afternoon.

Police later confirmed that a suspected man had been deprived of his liberty.

Pelle Vamstad, a police spokesperson in Västmanland, said during the operation that police had no indication that there was an ongoing danger to the general public.

The motive for the attack remains unknown.

At least two people seriously injured

The number and condition of the injured became clearer later in the afternoon.

Region Västmanland confirmed that two seriously injured people had been received for medical treatment, while another injured person was on the way.

“We have received two seriously injured people and one injured person is on the way,” Jonas Cederberg, director of health and medical services at Region Västmanland, told Expressen, according to SVT’s live reporting.

No detailed information about the victims had been released at the time of writing.

Region Västmanland activated a special staff mode following the attack. Cederberg said the measure was intended to bring resources together and provide the region with the best possible overview of the situation before further decisions were taken.

Reports suspect was shot have not been officially confirmed

Several Swedish media outlets have reported that the suspected attacker was shot in the leg by police during the intervention.

SVT has included the information in its live coverage but attributes it to media reports rather than an official police confirmation.

Police had confirmed by late afternoon that a man was in custody, but had not publicly confirmed the circumstances in which he was detained.

For that reason, reports that police shot the suspect should still be treated as preliminary information.

Swedish media have also published unconfirmed information about the suspect’s age and previous connection to the school. Police had not publicly confirmed those details at the time of writing.

Students remained inside as police searched the school

The attack led to lockdown measures at Brinellskolan and several other schools and facilities in Fagersta.

At around 17:00, students at Brinellskolan had still not all been able to leave while police continued securing buildings. Other schools in the municipality had also kept pupils indoors as a precaution.

The municipality itself activated an emergency staff structure at around 14:20.

A crisis centre was also opened at Risbrohallen, at Ringvägen 3 in Fagersta.

According to the municipality, the centre is available for people who need support or information, want someone to talk to, or are worried after the incident. Relatives and others affected by the events are also welcome.

The neighbouring municipality of Norberg also sent crisis-support resources to Fagersta.

Attack happened during first week of new school term

Brinellskolan is Fagersta’s upper-secondary school and has several hundred students.

The attack happened during the first week of the new school year.

According to the school’s official calendar, the 2026 autumn term began on 17 August for first-year students and on 19 August for students in years two and three.

That timing added to the concern among families waiting outside the school.

SVT’s reporter at the scene described parents waiting behind police cordons, some of whom had initially been unable to contact their children.

Fagersta is a municipality in north-western Västmanland in central Sweden. It has just over 13,000 residents, with around 90 per cent living in the town of Fagersta itself. The municipality is around 70 kilometres north-west of Västerås, while a journey from Stockholm takes around two hours.

Brinellskolan received a threat in May

The school had already experienced a security incident earlier this year.

On 8 May 2026, a threatening message was discovered as graffiti inside a toilet at Brinellskolan.

Fagersta municipality said at the time that all Brinellskolan students were sent home as a precaution. Risbroskolan, Kulturskolan and nearby sports facilities were locked, while other schools and preschools kept children indoors.

SVT reported that the message referred to a possible school shooting. Police investigated it as an unlawful threat against a group.

Later that day, police assessed that the immediate threat had ended and normal activities gradually resumed.

There is currently no confirmed information linking the May threat to Friday’s sword attack.

Any possible connection would have to be established by the police investigation.

Police will investigate motive and events inside the school

A central question now is why the attack happened.

Neither police nor the municipality had announced a motive by late Friday afternoon.

Police were continuing to secure the school and collect information about what happened inside the buildings. Investigators are expected to examine witness statements and other available evidence as part of the preliminary investigation.

International news agencies have also begun reporting the incident. Reuters reported that several people had been injured and that the attack took place at a school in central Sweden, while Associated Press reported that the suspect had been apprehended.

Information concerning the exact number of victims, their identities and the circumstances surrounding the suspect’s arrest may change as police release further details.

Kristersson: Let police and emergency services work

Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson described the events in Fagersta as serious.

“We do not yet know what is behind the attack, but we know that the police are working very intensively,” Kristersson said in a statement reported by SVT.

He urged people to allow police and emergency services to work without disruption and said his thoughts were with everyone affected.

Justice Minister Gunnar Strömmer said the government was in close contact with police and was continuously following developments.

The police operation and investigation were continuing on Friday evening.

Image placeholder

Lorem ipsum amet elit morbi dolor tortor. Vivamus eget mollis nostra ullam corper. Pharetra torquent auctor metus felis nibh velit. Natoque tellus semper taciti nostra. Semper pharetra montes habitant congue integer magnis.

Leave a Comment